How To BBQ Perfect Roast Pork
- Preheat your BBQ to 220°C (428°F)
- While the BBQ is coming up to temperature, slice a hatch pattern into the skin of the meat, 3-5mm deep. Basically you want to cut through the skin and into the fat, but not into the flesh
- Using your hands, rub olive oil all over the meat. It doesn't need to be dripping
- Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper over the meat, and iff the urge takes you, rub that in as well !
- Put the meat into a roasting pan if you haven't already, then put the meat into the BBQ if it's up to temperature
- Roast for 30 minutes at 220°C (428°F)
- Reduce oven temperature to 160 °C (320°F) and continue to roast for 50 minutes per Kg (23 minutes per pound)
- If you have a probe themometer, check the temperature in the thickest part of the meat and use this table as your guide;
- Doneness °Celsius °Fahrenheit
- Medium 63 145
- Med-Well 68 155
- Well Done 76 170
- If you don't have a themometer probe, check that juices run clear by piercing the thick parts of the meat with a skewer, down to the bone. If they show pink, you need to keep cooking the meat until they do run clear.
- Turn off the BBQ and rest the meat for 20-30 minutes before carving