Red Wine Chicken Casserole
Author: Peter Howard
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 838
- Fat: 49g
- Sodium: 368g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 41g
- Cholesterol: 191g
- 60 g butter
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in and patted dry with kitchen towelling
- 100 g Bacon Shoulder, cut into rough dices
- 12 small onions, pickling onions are ideal peeled and whole
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 whole red capsicum, diced or cut into strips
- 3 Tbs plain flour
- 500 ml red wine, (2 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 12 button mushrooms, stalk removed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large flameproof casserole and when foaming, brown the chicken pieces in two batches - keep warm and collect the juices.
- Add the bacon pieces, onions and garlic to the casserole and cook for 3 minutes; sprinkle in the flour and stir in well - pour in the red wine and stir until bubbling.
- Add the chicken and juices back into the dish - top with the bay leaves and thyme. Make sure the chicken is immersed, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the mushrooms. Cover and return to cook a further 15 minutes.
- Out of the oven, make sure the chicken is cooked, season with salt and pepper -