Kangaroo with Beetroot Relish
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 402
- Fat: 18g
- Sodium: 698g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 46g
- Cholesterol: 54g
- 1 Tbs olive oil (relish)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 whole beetroot, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 400 g tomatoes,canned crushed
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 700 Grams kangaroo fillet or steak
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Cracked black pepper & sea salt
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 100 Gram pack rocket leaves
- 1 large ball of buffalo mozzarella (or you can use bocconcini)
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar (aged if possible)
- Beetroot Relish
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion and beetroot and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, cloves, bay leaf and ½ cup of water. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, marinate kangaroo fillets or steaks in olive oil, garlic and cracked black pepper, for 20 minutes.
- Heat pan or chargrill, cook kangaroo on high heat for approx 3 minutes on each side (longer for thicker pieces). Remove from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Combine rocket with balsamic. Add slices of prosciutto and torn pieces of mozzarella on top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve a spoonful of beetroot relish on top of kangaroo and garnish with rocket and prosciutto salad.