- Serves: 6
- Calories: 161
- Fat: 15g
- Sodium: 467g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0g
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Small small eggplant (500 Grams)
- 6 Tbs oil
- 1 tsp garlic (crushed or minced)
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 Tbs hot bean sauce (see sidebar)
- ½ tsp hoisin sauce (see sidebar)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbs scallion (chopped)
- Mix cornstarch with ¼ C water to make a sauce.
- Peel and slice eggplant into ½"cubes. Heat oil over high heat in skillet or wok. Stir-fry eggplant 6-8 minutes till soft. Remove, drain, and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 T oil from skillet/wok. Add garlic, ginger, hot bean sauce, hoisin sauce and vinegar to skillet/wok, stirring for 30 minutes over high heat. Add soy sauce, sugar, salt, chicken broth and cornstarch paste. Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add eggplant, stir-frying for about 1 minute till sauce is absorbed. Add sesame oil and scallions, mix well, and serve immediately.