Steak And Kidney Pie
- Serves: 6
- Calories: 51
- Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 771g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 35g
- 1 large onion
- 750 g braising steak
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml beer
- 1 sprig thyme (leaves)
- 2 Tbps gravox powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 juniper berries, crushed (3 to 4)
- 3 dried mushrooms, quartered (3 to 4)
- 150 g lamb kidneys, (optional), cleaned and diced
- 3 pieces rolled, rich puff pastry
- 500 ml Beef Stock
- 2 Tbs peanut or canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, gently beaten, for glaze
- Cut onion in quarters then eighths and sautee in a pan with oil until softened.
- Dice the steak,, then stir in with the onion over a good heat. Sprinkle over plain gravox, then mix in.
- Add the beer, stock, bay leaves, thyme and crushed juniper berries. Allow to reduce by a third over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and the pieces of kidney and allow mixture to simmer until meat is tender (around an hour and a half).
- Once cooked, season to taste and allow to stand over very low heat.
- Cut large pieces of ready made puff pastry into four. Sandwich one piece on top of another and repeat until you have six doubled-up pieces. Place on a non-stick baking tray (or non-stick paper on baking tray).
- Brush with beaten egg and cook for about 10 minutes at 190c, until puffy and golden brown.
- Cut open the pie crust, and fill with mixture.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and peas.